fot

RE  Louvered  Hood

To: chuck.arnold@oracle.com
Subject: RE  Louvered  Hood
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:40:03 -0500
Chuck Arnold asked:

>Will adding louvers over the carb intakes help suck cool air through the
>vent?  Would I achieve the same thing by just keeping the hood open an
>inch [I was thinking of doing this and do have the safety catches in
>hand.  An engineer friend said that would do no good because of the
>"dead area" at the base of the windshield].

Drawing air via a hose from the grill is a good idea.  So too is using
composite aluminum sheets to protect the gas lines and Webers from the
headers.  You can also see an addition I made to the hood of my car at
http://www.hottr6.com/triumph/Body.html (its in one of the pictures at the
bottom of the page - click to enlarge it).  I cut the bulge out of a TR4A
hood and moulded it onto the TR6 hood.  But I had to move it forward because
A) I needed the air intake forward of the front-most Weber (triple
arrangement) and B) any further back the air intake is in a low-pressure
area.

The "dead" zone you speak of extends about 2-3 feet forward of the
windshield.  This "dead" zone as I understand is an area of low pressure,
albeit turbulant.  Opening the hood an inch will really draw a lot of warm
out of the engine bay beacsue of this low pressure regime.  This is
demonstrated by that fact that TR4/A/5/250/early TR6 with its cowl vent was
able to get a lot more air into the cockpit that the later open plenum vent.

Cheers,

Shane Ingate full of hot air in Maryland