fot

RE: Newsflash From Ferrari-Now CART

To: Dave Riddle <dave@microworks.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Newsflash From Ferrari-Now CART
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:28:49 -0800
Watching them flog each other to death while the only thing on speed channel
is yurpeens or bubba is not my idea of entertainment. We would have had a
fighting chance at some decent American twisty course open wheel racing if
IRL had got the keys. I simply don't see what Gentilozzi could do that CART
couldn't before.

NASCAR is simply brilliant. Cars camera'ed up to within an ounce of their
weight limit, cameras on the deck, every turn, every fifty feet of pit row,
and in the starter's underwear as far as I can tell. If a kid drops his ice
cream they can do an instant replay in slo mo from four angles and the
KidCam(tm). With all that technical brilliance, a track everyone can see,
and a field separated by .5 seconds front to back no wonder it mints money.
With that much effort you could make an afternoon at Costco into a
spectacle.

Contrast that to a CART or IRL race where you have a birds eye view from a
blimp and a long shot somewhere in the stands. The entire front field can be
wiped out while both cameras were aimed at the guy running 17th and all the
announcers can do is say "what happened". So lame.