fot

Clogging Sand Blast Cabinet

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clogging Sand Blast Cabinet
From: elliottd <elliott@videotron.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:20:03 -0500
I just paid $500 to a sandblast shop to have about 100 parts for the TR3A
stripped of all the paint and rust.  I found the price rather steep.

I have a friend who has offered me free use of his huge blast cabinet which
is big enough to accept up to a TR6 fender or hood.  The problem is it seems
to be getting clogged somewhere and the gun only shoots air.  Neither he nor
I know what the problem is or how to get it to run so that the blast media
comes out the gun with the compressed air.  I assume that something is
getting clogged but may be wrong.  The gun is fed by a huge air compressor
(almost brand new) that has a duty cycle of about 20% when sand blasting or
glass peening.  In the back of the blast cabinet is a vertically mounted
cylindrical tank measuring about 18 inch diameter and 3 feet long with a fan
in it and beside that is a steel cabinet which measures 2 ft by 2 ft and is
about 9 feet high.  This latter cabinet is connected at the top with a 8"
flex duct from the cylindrical fan/tank unit.  The front of this opens as a
door and inside are about 36long canvas tubular bags or sleeves, each about
8 feet long hanging there very neatly.  At the bottom is a slide drawer
where sand has to be emptied periodically with a shovel.

Can anyone help so I can get this going and keep it going.  I could save
myself and the guy who owns the TR that I'm doing for him a lot af money.
Maybe I could start up a small sideline business doing blasting.   Anyone
suggest a good web site with cross-sectional diagrams which might help
explain its operation and the maintenance required.

Any other ideas ?

Don Elliott, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada