fot

Re: re-torqing cylinder heads hot???

To: <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: re-torqing cylinder heads hot???
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:02:05 -0600
I'm not as tech-y as some on this list so I just do what my engine builder
tells me to do.

He says retorque hot. From what I'm reading from Ted and Mordy, if you have
a composition gasket it needs the hot re-torque. But if you have copper,
doesn't hurt.

If you pull a stud or strip a nut doing that, like they say, if it breaks it
needed fixin' anyway. (e.g., the part was already weak and on the way to
failure -- you just managed to encourage that failure in what may well have
been the most inexpensive manner).

valves -- torque hot because that is the clearance you want when the engine
is running.

Another fellow I know -- 5-time national champion -- takes the rule down to
bare bones: Do everything hot (if you can). He even drains his oil hot.

By the way, the drag racing husband (in a Comp class dragster) of a cousin
of mine once gave me a great formula for valve setting:
* Set the exhaust valve when the intake for that cylinder is half-closed.
* Set the intake valve when the exhaust is just opening.

--Rocky Entriken