fot

Re: virus

To: <Herald948@aol.com>, <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: virus
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:06:06 -0600
I've gotten 3-4 lately that purport to be from my own ISP telling me my
e-mail will be down for a couple of days and more info is in the attachment,
complete with a password code to read the attachment. I got suspicious when
the first attachment instead had a note that my Norton had snagged it, and
my ISP confirmed they had no server takedown planned.

Of course, I've gotten hundreds lately about the latest Microsoft
"cumulative patch" that carry the Swen virus.

Jack, the "somebody" that got your e-mail is a virus that got into someone
else's e-mail, found your address in their address book, and spoofed it.
It's so common a trait now I never worry about it any more -- but
unfortunately it also means notes to a known sender is useless as the listed
sender never is the real sender. Heck, I've even gotten virus messages
purportedly sent by me to myself! And I keep getting bounces that "my"
message (that I never sent) was refused for whatever reason.

--Rocky Entriken