fot

Tales of the Iowa Highway Patrol.....one more time.

To: kaskas@cox.net, BillB@bnj.com, elliott@videotron.ca, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Tales of the Iowa Highway Patrol.....one more time.
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 00:44:10 EST
a lot of similar stories.

My first English car was an MGTD. MkII. I worked in Charles City, Iowa and we
had a favorite watering hole in Mason City, some 30 miles away.

Tom & I grabbed a 16 oz Bud out of the fridge and jumped into the TD. The
first five miles are the twisty bits....the lurid entry into the final curve
caused the passenger side 'suicide' door to unlatch, so I pulled over. I
glanced
over to the inside apex of the turn and there was the IHP sitting there...not
looking very happy. As he pulled in behind me, I slipped the large Bud can
behind the seat and Tom slipped his under the running board. Of course he saw
Tom's Bud right away and made note of it. Then he looked behind the seat and
reached in.

I had been to a yard sale and bought two artifacts left over from WWII. One
was a defused LAND MINE and the other was a harmless HAND GRENADE. (fortunately
this was in the early 60s before things got so tense)

All of us then heard something approaching at a high rate of speed, from the
opposite direction. IHP raised up and said, "I wonder if he is going to make
that curve."  This Hemi-Powered Mopar, dressed in some puke green color, slid
all four tortured tire through the curve and left the scene quickly.

The IHP, promptly lept into his patrol car and did a bookleg turn.....WIPING
OUT A ROW OF RURAL MAILBOXES WITH HIS RH FRONT FENDER.

He caught up with us later in the evening and asked me to sign an accident
report, with me as a witness to what had happened to his state owned fender.
Only then he suggested that we leave the Buds in the fridge. No mention was
made
of the Miltary Ordnance.

Sometime the Bear Eats You and sometimes....and sometimes you just get lucky.

Joe (A)