fot

Re: Tow Vehicle

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle
From: rem9@sunlink.net
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 07:59:49 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
I have a 24' enclosed trailer with Spitfire race car, tools, spares and an ATV
I haul with a 24' motorhome to most races. Motorhome is a '99 Ford chassis with
the V-10 injected engine. I don't even know the trailer is behind me. Typically
cruise at ~75 on the interstates. The newer style motorhomes are way safer to
tow with than the old style GM "bread truck" chassis vehicles. Had one of those
and got rid of it after one too many close calls.
I also tow the trailer at times with an F-250 4x4 with a Powerstroke 7.3 liter
diesel. No problems at all. With the diesel, I get about 18 mpg and with the
motorhome it's about 10mpg.
I can tell the difference in drag with the pickup over the motorhome due to the
front of the trailer. Motorhome, having a longer wheelbase also is more stable
towing at speed than the pickup.

Russ Moore