fot

RE: Stolen Race Car - Denver, CO

To: "'John Herrera '" <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Stolen Race Car - Denver, CO
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 19:58:53 -0700
It's a constant problem. At least for me with my miserable memory. I put a
disk lock on my Ducati and bent the disk carrier trying to drive away with
it. I can't count the number of times I've tried to drive away a chained
motorcycle.

I did a really stupid "theft protection" thing once--the throttle grip on my
Matchless G80CS was electrically isolated from the rest of the bike--plastic
sleeve, metal cover that clamped onto some cloth tape to keep it from
rotating. the magneto I was using was off another bike and had a second
pickup. I ran a plug wire up to the throttle handle. The plan was that I
would plug it into the magneto when I parked the bike. If someone drove the
bike away the first time their hand got near the metal clamps it would shock
the heck out of them. Of course I shocked myself half a dozen times and
finally pulled it off the bike.

One big benefit of driving a Ferrari (believe me, there are a lot of
others--I love that car) is that it's usually left well alone. I'm sure
there's someone, somewhere who's hunting for my car and who is capable of
stealing it and doing something with it once they've got it. But the run of
the mill booster wants nothing to do with it.