fot

TR4A thru 6 Rear Hubs

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A thru 6 Rear Hubs
From: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 15:17:46 -0400
Lists,

I am ready to re-assemble my TR4A rear Hubs and have a question for someone
who's done this before me. These are spares and were taken apart by a friend
so I don't have a reference from the disassembly.

The thick bearing spacers that back up the inner bearings are the subject of
my question. While the books don't show it very well I am assuming that the
side of the spacer which is machined out to a depth of about 3/16 and then
tapered towards the center hole when assembled to the stub axel faces the
universal joint end of the stub axle. I think that is fairly obvious and is
intended to allow clearance and adjustment for the radius between the axle and
the forged joint. It's the other side that has me concerned since there is a
groove machined (at least I hope it's machined) into the face of the diameter.
The groove is very shallow and about 1/8 wide and seems to be well centered
between the OD and ID of the Spacer.

My question is this. Am I correct in assuming that this shallow groove is
supposed to be on this face? When I fit the bearing against this face it seems
like it centers on the groove, maybe it's there for clearance of the bearing
cage but I'd like to have confirmation from someone who has been there and
done that before me.

If it would help I can send digital photo's of the spacer to you
individually.

JVV