fot

RE: Calling you tire/suspension experts

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>, kas kastner <kaskas@cox.net>
Subject: RE: Calling you tire/suspension experts
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:52:42 -0400
At 09:21 PM 04/13/2004 -0700, Bill Babcock wrote:
>I thought the lower inboard pivot point on TR4's was adjustable.

It is on the 4A, but not on a 4.

>Shortening the upper arms certainly works, but it makes the camber gain
>pretty high and adds more bump steer. Moving the inboard pivot point inward
>doesn't change the camber gain, only increases the bump steer a little bit,
>and it's fairly easy to do. Might not be legal in your sanctioning body
>though.

I will be looking at the bump steer when I get back from VIR, as I have a
few ideas. I doubt any of my ideas are much good, but I will be trolling
around for other folks better ideas realsoonnow!

Unfortunately, moving the suspension pickup points is a no-no for me, not
to say others have not done it... The construction of the lower A-arms and
the stock bushings makes it pretty tough to move the lower pivot point. I
guess I could get some oblong bushes made for the lower inboard A-arms, but
the easiest way to adjust camber for me is the upper A-arms. When I bought
the car it had a completely used up set of Delrin bushes installed on the
inboard upper A-arms. That might be the easiest thing to do, but first I
will put some laps on a new set of tires with lower tire pressures and zero
toe. I learned the hard way a while back only to change one thing at a time...

>How big is really big for the bar? Can you adjust it so your pickup is way
>out at the end?

The bar is a 1 1/8" NASCAR style bar with splined ends and aluminum arms.
The pick-up already attaches right under the trunnion.