fot

RE: engine bearings

To: riverside <riverside@Cedar-Rapids.net>, fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: engine bearings
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:56:39 -0700
Aluminum bearings are the ones that every racer basically hates. They spall
and can't handle any overheating or grit. Trimetal is way more forgiving.
When I pulled my engine down with good Vanderwall bearings all the bearings
were marked up but still working and still in clearance spec (except for the
thrust bearings). A few years ago I used some aluminum ones and even though
they lasted the season, when I pulled them they looked scary. Chuncks
missing, seize marks, and way out of clearance spec. No wonder my oil
pressure was dropping towards the end of the year.