fot

Bearing theory

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Bearing theory
From: Gt6steve@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 22:25:37 EDT
Amici,
 All this bearing talk of late has me exploring the empty caverns of my mind.
 While pondering the quoted PSI ratings for the King bearings I realize I
have no idea what my engine requires.  It seems there's a factor missing from
the
equation.  I know surface area of the piston but what the hell is a
reasonable figure for the combustion pressure applied to the bearing.  Surely
it's not
directly proportional to CR.  Or is it?  Is there a general value accepted?
What if my killer head burns better than the stock one?  Higher pressures
applied to the bearing obviously so without knowing your exact Volumetric
Efficiency and the pressure produced in the chamber how can we guess a suitable
bearing?  Disregarding all the shiny bits in the filter.
Then, how does the surface speed of the bearing factor in??  Would a ten
percent reduction in surface speed (or one or twenty) be more significant to
the
bearing life?
Enquiring minds want to know...Steve