fot

Re: Bearing theory

To: <Gt6steve@aol.com>, <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bearing theory
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 10:29:44 +1200
An interesting fact - there are two versions of 1300 engine, the Mk III
Spitfire one with small bearings, and the Mk IV one with large bearings
(commonised ones from TR5 and 6). Not only do the large bearing version
engines not produce the same power as the small bearing ones - they also
have a much shorter bearing life. (Uk versions are better because apart from
crank bearing size the engines are identical). The only factor in the
shorter life must be that the speed across the bearing is higher with a
bigger diameter - think what a six cylinder would be like with smaller
bearings.
John Kipping