fot

Re: Crankshafts

To: rmeek8@juno.com
Subject: Re: Crankshafts
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 06:55:11 -0400
Ron Meek asked:

>So I'm thinking of the next TR-6 engine I'll be building for Walt
>Holowell and I'm wondering what the crankshaft options are,
>besides  Moldex (c'mon Walt, buy me a Moldex).

Ron, the good news is that I have spoekn with Moldex, and they would be
happy to build their first TR6 steel crank.  The bad news is that they
estimated the cost to be $6K.  With the plummeting US$ against the Euro and
BPS, that is starting to look like good value compared with the cost of
importing a steel crank from the UK (Cambridge Motorsports distributes
them).

If that is too rich for Walt, have the crank nitrided and cross-drilled, and
remove as much weight as saefly possible from the rotating mass.  I've read
too many of Kas' stories on the wobbly TR6 crank to know that this is the
primary reason why our old cranks are self-destructive.

Gee, talk about being cranky.

Shane Ingate, sometimes in Maryland, but for now, in Quebec.

Learn to simplify your finances and your life in Streamline Your Life from
MSN Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0405streamline.armx