fot

Re: #4 Main thrust Bearing Question

To: <walt@hot-tr6.com>, <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: #4 Main thrust Bearing Question
From: "Scott Janzen" <s.janzen@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:38:02 -0400
sorry, all.  (I would say guys but I am not yet sure if there are women in
this group too). The engine is a GT6 MkII. I think that the problem stemmed
from the cap having been machined to accept a thrust washer- apparently this
was done from time to time.  I had this apart this summer, but there were
only two thrust washers - in the block, though thinking back I do remember
two small holes in the rear one, so maybe it had been pinned in place.  I
checked the clearances, put in oversize ones, and put it back together.  The
rear one rotated, as the cap did not hold it in place, and there you have
it.

The engine is now apart, and goes to the machinist tomorrow.  John, I think
you nailed the scope of work:
"So, it's engine out,
crank out, grind crank thrusts, repair main bearing cap, reassemble, refit
engine. New thrusts fitted without regrinding the crank will last a few
miles, main bearing caps can't be interchanged without having the block line
bored."

I am going to take a cap off of a spare block and have the existing block
line bored.  I suspect that if the existing cap is repaired with weld, it
will distort and still need the line bore treatment.  If the block has other
issues, well, I have a spare block, crank, etc.