fot

VIR Recap, Part 2 of 2

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: VIR Recap, Part 2 of 2
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:44:05 -0400
Part 2

The Roadster Factory brought the TRS, thanks going out to Charles and the
gang at TRF. Jeff Snook brought his immaculate Devin to show, and it was
honored by being driven as a surrogate pace car by Jack Wheeler, being
followed by the TRS.

As if all this was not enough, another session of Valve Cover Racing
occurred Saturday night. The only thing to say is alcohol was involved, and
I am not just talking about the fuel in JK's racer. If you were not there,
you missed one of the most entertaining shows imaginable. Susan Kahler has
some .mpg's on her website. Download them. Play them. Remember, they only
capture half the story!  ;-)

My car ran fantastic all weekend and I had my best races yet in Saturday
Qualifying and the Group B Feature race. A very fast and well driven Peter
Krause prepared Alfa GTV Junior and a small cast of others required me to
defend my position every turn of every lap for both races. Positions were
traded, but the torque of a tractor engine was my saviour. Triumphs swept
the Group B podium with Mike Jackson and Jeff Snook taking the top two
slots and yours truly in third for my first podium finish. What a rush.

We had a less than 30 minute turn around for the All Triumphs race. After
refueling and servicing the car preparing to drive to the false grid for
the All Triumphs race, the quote of the weekend was delivered by Brad,
asking me if my helmet would still fit! Surprisingly, it did.

As we were gridded for the All Triumphs race, the only rain of the weekend
started falling. By the time we were under way the track was just wet,
providing for some very interesting turn in's. Or should I say lack of
turning altogether! Within a lap the field sorted itself with the brave
running hard and the not-so-brave running not-so-hard, (myself falling into
the latter) I found my rear view mirror filled with uncle jack's beautiful
New Blue, and we proceeded to have some great fun. With the track
conditions as they were I was expecting a couple of the front runners to go
off, luckily the only two were Vern Brannon and George Wright who both slid
off clean at the end of turn one after choosing a line that was a little
more slippery than they expected. The race was won by Keith Files in his
wonderful sounding TR6 straight from England. Way to go Keith!

Many thanks to Joe Alexander who helped get the Brits here once again,
amongst other organizational tasks to make for one fantastic racing weekend.

--end