fot

VIR Recap, Part 1 of 2

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: VIR Recap, Part 1 of 2
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:42:41 -0400
I posted this this morning, but it didn't come through. Maybe it was too big...

Almost every time I go racing I say I had the best time ever. Well, OK,
this time I really mean it! Great friends, great racing, and almost
perfect, albeit quite hot, weather.

Other highlights were our friends from Britain came back with two TR6's we
know from Mid-Ohio with 4 drivers, Keith Files, Jon Wood, Jon Whitely and
Jon Astin. Keith's red TR6 with Webers was just as fast as ever, while the
Whitely car with it's fuel injection is still in development.

We saw Dean Tetterton's highly anticipated Warwick GT make it's debut. Dean
brought both the Warwick and his TR3A out to play and was the busiest
driver on the paddock, hopping out of one car into the other in searing
heat. Both cars and driver were up to the task and Dean put on a great show.

The Grassroots/Classic Motorsports TR3 made an impressive showing with both
Tim Suddard and JK Jackson at the wheel. Tim turned a blistering 2:29 in
the Group B feature, and JK finished quite well in the All Triumph race in
the wet. I can't wait to read all about it in the magazine. No doubt about
it, those boys are putting power on the pavement and have a contender in
the making. Well done.

Jon Wood cranked up Keith's TR6 in his feature race to turn an amazing
2:17. Very well done!

The midwest contingent was well represented, with the entire Beady Eye
Racing  team running, Bill Dentinger in his familiar TR3, Bob Wismer
piloting the Thunderbolt, and Don Brick running his white TR4 with red wire
wheels. Both Jack and Tony Drews with their immaculately prepared TR4's
showing us it is possible to have very pretty cars that go real fast. Of
course, Joe Alexander and his red TR4 were there to run. Gary Schneider of
Wisconsin brought out his former Chip Bond racer to us all to enjoy as well.

Others who towed long distance were Bob Kramer from Texas,  Brad and Susan
from Arkansas and Texas, Larry Young from Oklahoma. Richard Taylor drove
his TR4 racer from Atlanta towing his trailer with his race tires and
Triumph motorcycle only to suffer a catastrophic failure and need to get
home on a flatbed. I was moved by his story about his trip home, it takes a
special person to make lemons into lemonade like that. Cheers, Richard.

Continued...