fot

Re: Hot manifold question

To: <portermd@zianet.com>, <dmitchel@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Hot manifold question
From: "kas kastner" <kaskas@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:07:12 -0700
  Ceramic impellers are used generally becuse they are LIGHT and therefore
the acclerate quicker than incinel. The temperature in a turbine housing, if
all is right, with the mixture is about 1650F. Nothing at all to see the
exhaust pipe down stream  from the turbo become a very nice bright yellow,
so hot they looked as if you could push a screwdriver right through them. I
made hundreds of turbo kits for the RX-7 rotary engine years ago and the
temperature would go over 1800 as those engines do have a terrific exhaust
temperature just normally. I furnished kits to the NASA research center in
Cleveland Ohio and they sent me photos of their studies in the dyno that
were just spectacular for color. They ran things harder than I did in my
dyno. they used those engines for pilotless high altitude drones.

  The problem with the hot turbo when you shut off is that the turbo is now
without oil pressure and the heat sink to the bearing ruins the bearing then
on start up as the shaft is coated with oil varnish from the cooked oil and
the shaft  is rough and scaley. You idle for about 1 minute and the temp
will drop from 1200 to 400 degrees which is safe. Easiest thing to do is
just idle along on the street for one block before shutting down.