fot

Small block Chevy question

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Small block Chevy question
From: "Timothy F. Murphy" <timmurph@execpc.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 19:43:47 -0500
My son (and partner on the race car project) has a Chevy pickup with a
small block Chevy (350 C.I.D.)  It suddenly started "knocking" when he
started it a couple of days ago.  It was quite warm, about 90, and the
oil was really thin, I think it was either 5W-30 or 10W-30.  The
knocking would seem to come and go in intensity.  Today we pulled the
valve covers to have a look at the rocker arms, springs and push rods.
All looked normal.  I listened with the electronic stethescope but
couldn't find anything definitive.  We pulled the plugs, which looked
okay other than some carbon fouling on a couple.  Then we did a
compression check and had 0 compression on #4.  I set it to TDC on #4
and the exhaust pushrod was still tight.  I loosened the rocker nut by
1-1/2 turns and then had about 30#'s compression.  I'm quessing either a
very badly carboned up exhaust valve from a lifter sticking "open" or a
burnt valve from the same condition.
    Question: How does a lifter "stick" all the way pumped up?

    The cam and lifters were new on a rebuild about 1-1/2 years ago.
Does the analysis of the problem sound right?  We're thinking of pulling
the intake manifold and head, renew the lifters and grind/replace the
valves.  An alternate solution is to try dumping some "Sea Foam" in and
hoping.  Any thoughts??

Thanks,
Tim