fot

Re: Small block Chevy question

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Small block Chevy question
From: "Timothy F. Murphy" <timmurph@execpc.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 17:54:37 -0500
Thanks for the replies.  He decided to "do the right thing" and pull the
head, even though the truck is up for sale.  Good thing.  The seat for
the intake on # 6 obviously came loose, got pounded to pieces and
proceeded to pound the piston and head pretty good.  Some pieces were
sucked into #4 and did a dance on that piston and head also.  Cylinder
walls don't look too bad with just a cursory glance.  Could maybe clean
them up with a hone, put new pistons in and a new head and give it a
go.  Or, probably get a short block and "start over".  These were
"Vortec" heads that he put on when he did the rebuild.  I don't think
we're big fans of that development anymore!!  I'm guessing that if
pieces could get sucked into #4 some could also find their way down the
push rods and get into the lifters.  Maybe that's why we found the
"tight" exhaust lifter on #6.

    Hope we've got the "bad luck" out of our system now and the race car
engine will be solid.  At least we now know what a busted up valve seat
sounds like!!  At least in a small block Chevy V-8.  By the way, this
was to be our tow vehicle when we get the car on the track.  It could
have happened in the middle of Chicago on the way to Michigan from
Wisconsin.  What a happy thought!!

Thanks again,
Tim