fot

RE: Pump Shafts

To: "'MARK J WEATHERS'" <markjwea@email.msn.com>,
Subject: RE: Pump Shafts
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 05:59:38 -0700
The rotor end of the distributor drive shaft isn't splined, it has a tang
like a screwdriver. Unfortunately it's made by cutting slices out with right
angle intersection of the cuts.

I'm not sure that the shaft is the real problem. Looking at the pieces of my
broken pump it's clear that the ear on the pump shaft (the female side of
the joint) broke first and then the distributor drive shaft broke. If the
drive shaft broke first there wouldn't have been any way for the ear to also
break.  I think we need to relieve the stress riser on the rotor shaft by
radiusing the bottom of the slot, and then make a drive shaft or modify the
existing shafts to radius their stress point. That alone should make the
parts many times stronger. If we did this by modifying existing parts we'd
need to do something to relive the stresses that have already been imparted
after the radiusing is done.