fot

Re: Pump Shafts

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pump Shafts
From: "Peter Vucinic" <vucinic@b140.aone.net.au>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:41:50 +1000
> Peter, to Kas' point you would probably be better off using drill rod and
> machining it first, then hardening. Rc 60 is too hard to machine, must be
> ground or EDM'd as you have discovered. As long as you are going to make a
> batch, should not cost more to go this way.

Mark,
That is exactly to what I was alluding to. It's better to start with a soft
material and work your way up. Make the shafts from proper gear/shaft
material and then have them 0.020" nitrided (only on the bearing surface).
Problem solved. I have a test shaft going in for manufacture this week.

Regards
Peter Vucinic
TR-4