fot

Auxillary TOW VEHICLE

To: fot@autox.team.net ('fot@autox.team.net')
Subject: Auxillary TOW VEHICLE
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:04:16 EDT
Amici:

The other day I purchased an auxiliary TOW VEHICLE I hope to use on longer
tows, which are impractical for my 1950 CHEVROLET Panel Truck.  Oh, my old
panel
truck would make it all right, but since it is still 99 44/100% 1950
Chevrolet, it lacks come of the comforts I now require in my old age.  60 mph
is about
top cruising speed, and it sure would not have liked those West Virginia
mountains on the way to VIR.  I had been using a 1996 FORD pick up truck for
longer tows (I took it to VIR).  It works fine, but certain security aspects of
an
open pick up truck are not practical.

The vehicle I bought is actually older. It's a 1995 CHEVROLET G30 (one ton)
Express Van with the 6.5 Liter Diesel engine and overdrive transmission.  It's
actually a very blue collar cargo van (windowless except for the doors), but
has some extra creature comforts like full power, air conditioning, vinyl
captain's chairs, etc.  The truck was owned by the Federal Government, and used
on
a military base in Texas.  It has less than 45,000 original miles and is in
exceptional cosmetic condition for a vehicle nine years old.  Being owned by
the
government, I have to assume it was on some sort of formal maintenance
program.  We'll use it as a 'Yard Goat' here for my masonry company, but then
I'll
have it available for my longer tows like Grattan, Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen, and
the like.  I've been looking for several months.  I was particularly
interested in getting a diesel engine, which is not that common in a van.

Bill Dentinger