fot

RE: Yoko tire pressures

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Yoko tire pressures
From: "Jim Gambony" <britbits@tiu.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:46:11 -0500
>Higher pressure than you need equals hotter in the middle of the tire, for
sure.

Bill, true.. But you need to look at the complete picture.

When I ran in vintage locally it was in a 1960s Austin Mini Cooper 1275S on
175/55/13 A008Gs  A Mini prepped to the full extent of the vintage rules,
except for the 13" rims.  1380 pound car.  Granted, I was mainly looking at
rollover on the tire sidewall.

I ran 42psi front and 28psi rear- my autocross pressures...  when I ran at
Texas World Speedway.  The local Mini expert thought I was on drugs.  So he
did tire temps for me during practice and declared I was spot on.

Granted, FWD means higher temps in front.  And how aggressive he drives also
decides how high to push the pressure.

At a local autocross I competed in my Spitfire against another Spitfire on
identical Yoko slicks.  The other driver ran pressures in the teens.. I was
running 22 front/26 rear.  All being said and done I was something like 10
seconds faster per run.  Totally hooked up.  On old second hand take off
tires.

And I view road racing as an autocross where you can shift up out of second.
:D

Cheers,

Jim
Dallas TX