fot

Re: Moldex crank

To: tarch@bellsouth.net, rkramer3@austin.rr.com, vinttr4@geneseo.net,
Subject: Re: Moldex crank
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:41:50 EDT
Just a couple of comments from the lesser of the technos:

Your break occured where most of them break. It might have been cracked for a
very long time. Given the useage of your engine over 21 race weekends
including enduros, not to mention driving the car to the track you did very
well,
methinks.

I ran my old  street TR4A engine for several years with no problems in
autocross and other abuses. But when I went to rebuild the engine, the crank
was
'cracked'.

With your self imposed 5500 RPM limit with "VNE" of 6000 RPM, the expense of
a Moldex is not likely justified.

Frankly, I run a crank that is stock (.010) & balanced but nothing else.

Other opinions may prevail, but this is my story, and I am sticking to it.

And I suspect the snout does not have as much to do with the mayhem on your
crankshaft as the flywheel........Investing in a high quality all steel
lightened flywheel might be a suggestion.

Joe (A)