fot

RE: Moldex again, plus rods & link to broken

To: Fubog1@aol.com, gasket.works@verizon.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Moldex again, plus rods & link to broken
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:06:35 -0700
I've seen that before. I pulled down a motor in a Jaguar 420 that was
running and driving before the teardown. The crank came out in three parts.
It was actually cracked on every main journal and broken completely on two.
The breaks were deep enough in the main bearings to remain together until I
pulled the caps and lifted. I actually thought I had done something terribly
wrong (besides buying the piece of crap). On closer examination, I
discovered the bearing caps were installed mostly in reverse order.
Fortunately I never revved that motor above probably 3000 rpm, because the
car was so ratty and smoked so badly that I didn't dare. I've also take old
motorcycles apart and had the crank come out in two pieces, held together
only by the bearings and the rough surface of the break.