fot

Re: Moldex again, plus rods & link to broken

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: Moldex again, plus rods & link to broken
From: portermd@zianet.com
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:31:20 -0600
Bill Babcock writes:

> I've seen that before. I pulled down a motor in a Jaguar 420 that was
> running and driving before the teardown. The crank came out in three parts.

My favorite along these lines was a `49 Chevy 2-ton straight-six flatbed
someone brought me to fix. The story was that three guys were using it for
logging. Had about three tons of wood on it, they started it up, revved it
up to get it moving, dumped the clutch, heard a big bang, but the engine
didn't quit, so they kept on truckin'. When they stopped it next, it acted
like the starter was locked, so they brought it to me.

Something didn't feel right when I tried to start it, so I pulled the
starter and tried to turn it over by hand. It wouldn't, so I pulled the pan,
and found the crank in a couple of pieces and one of the rearward main caps
had broken and turned sideways, so it locked up against the nearest rod
throw.

Well, what can expect from a splash-oiled crank?

Cheers.