fot

RE: Boring sleeves

To: "'Richard Taylor'" <tarch@bellsouth.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Boring sleeves
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:03:43 -0700
Most important first--it's Galleries though you'll see both used. Galleys
doesn't make much sense, galleries (being and opening, an alcove, etc. makes
sense.

There's nothing wrong with boring or honing a sleeve, it's just a matter of
machine shop quality. You want torque pressure applied during the honing or
boring.

Your choices come down to what you've got and what you want. If you have
stock sleeves and stock pistons and you're racing, now's the time to
upgrade. If your pistons are good stuff, then I'd certainly hone the sleeve.
Even if you took out .0015 you could still use the same piston. I might even
use the same rings, but I have these spurts of uncontrollable love for parts
I've already got.

Thing is, with a engine that's been running good, the only things I like to
change just for the heck of it are rod bearings.