fot

Re: Boring sleeves

To: BillB@bnj.com, tarch@bellsouth.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Boring sleeves
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:35:49 EDT
In a message dated 8/30/04 1:06:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time, BillB@bnj.com
writes:

<< What's the drill for boring sleeves? Pull the sleeves out and send them to
 machine shop or leave them in and send out the whole block. Or do can I buy
 just new sleeves..or, am I now in the business of buying a matched set of
 sleeves and pistons?

I am still doing things from the olden days, which are not the most
scientific or the best, but probably the shortest line between two points.  I
carry
four used liners and an old blown up block to the machinist along with the
pistons.  He needs to be able to clamp the liners into a block for boring.  I
tell
him to put 0.007" clearance between the pistons and liners, so that there is
less chance to scrub the piston when everything turns to crap.  Most people
with
better cooling systems use a lot less clearance.

I recently heard of someone around here who has modern, fancy liner cutting
equipment and doesn't use a block.

As Bill says, just buy an auto parts electric drill operated cylinder hone
and clean out the rust.