fot

transmission answers

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: transmission answers
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 06:24:02 -0500
Thanks to all who responded -- What a great bunch! Just yesterday I
completed an engine rebuild. I was disappointed that on my trip through the
nearby countryside waking up the pigs and chickens and several old ladies,
I still had the problem.

I had this problem during several races prior to the latest teardown. At
that time I replaced the pilot bearing, checked the throwout bearing when I
put in the new front trans seal, I have a safety bolt in the fork and
dowels in the trans / engine joint. Consensus is that it's a dragging
clutch or something on the main shaft. Makes sense. Here's what I'm going
to do:

1. bleed clutch yet again
2. try bumping another gear first (Road America, next weekend)
3. replace master cylinder, which is now 7/8", with a 1" one. Getting
enough throwout bearing travel has always been a problem on this car, and
requires the pin to be in the top hole on the arm
4. At the next trans removal, just replace the clutch and disc for good
measure. -- they are LUK parts that have served me well for six seasons.
That may be telling me something.
5. At the same time, take the top off the trans and see if there's anything
visually awry, including possible synchro hangup

Hope the thing lasts until the next teardown. Or as Ernie Husmann says
"Don't use reverse".

See how much work you guys have caused me?

Thanks again

uncle jack