fot

Re: Cambridge car for sale

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Cambridge car for sale
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 19:41:45 -0500
Everyone I know that has bought a Triumph race car already built has had
some trials and tribulations.  I think I lucked out on mine.  I did have
some issues related to my own negligence, though.  I think I've taken apart
pretty much everything and put it back together the way I wanted in the
last 2 years.  Not to imply that things were really wrong, just that I
wanted them to be different.  Maybe the advice would be "buy a car that's
done, take it apart and put it back together to your liking, and then hit
the track".  I've probably saved $10K to $15K and 2 to 4 years of part time
car construction by buying a well prepared car and then modifying it to
suit myself over building it from scratch (thanks to R. John Lye).  The
standard story I hear is "the car was supposed to be race ready, but the
motor appears to be mostly stock".  When I took mine apart, I kept finding
more top notch parts than I expected.  That's certainly not the typical
experience...

I know I'll never get out of the car what I've got into it, but I knew that
going in.  It's the price we pay to have the kind of fun and camaraderie
that this Triumph community provides.  If someone wanted my car, it would
be in the Cambridge zone before I'd even consider selling it.

- Tony Drews