fot

events

To: fot@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: events
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 05:56:57 -0500
Let's face it, the track owners have a "need" and we racers have a "desire".

Track owners must turn a profit. For years, nearly every track that was
built went through a bankruptcy -- Riverside, Michigan, you name it. They
are able to do better these days by utilizing their facility all week long
and by having spectator events. I sympathize with them. I don't know how
they could turn a profit on entry fees and the gate on our small club events.

Hobby racers like most of us desire lots of track time with similar cars.
Period.

One of the things that would be interesting to know is the comparison
between spectator attendance at events that have squeezed all the little
cars out in favor of lots of big cars, vs. events that lots of folks relate
to, like Mid Ohio where about a bazillion Triumphs showed up for the event.
This year at the Brian Redman race at Road America, out of about 400 race
cars, there were two or three TR's and not many more MG's. They did have
several races for old F1 cars, slightly outdated Trans Am's, etc. Big,
noisy, spectacular. Lousy racing, though.

Having both kinds of events is good for the health of the tracks, as long
as there are enough club events to keep us involved. Personally I've voted
with my feet (or trailer?) and selfishly do about one mega event per  year.

uncle jack