fot

RE: Diff Woes

To: "'Jerry Barr'" <jerrybarr@charter.net>,
Subject: RE: Diff Woes
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:59:12 -0800
FOT to the rescue again!!! Thanks for the inspiration--I don't have a giant
c clamp, but I have a 20 ton press.  I stuck the diff in it and squished it
until I could lever the diff out. I found out why my usual efforts didn't
work. As you folks might recall I had a problem with the axle tubes
spreading last racing season. I pounded them in, drilled and installed
harder bolts and eventually welded the tubes to the banjo housing. Well, I
must have been a little too enthusiastic on the right side, because the tube
end is standing a bit proud of the case. Just enough to press on the bearing
and make it very hard to remove. I had to squish the case more than I like,
but it sprung back. That's really a great way to do it.

Oh well. I'll have to grind out the weld, pull the bolts, tap the tube back
and reweld. At least this time I can do it on the bench so it won't look
like seagull sh*t.

Sure is nice having a lathe and mill. I bought one of those Taskmaster
bridgemill thingies. It's reasonably priced for so much cast iron and
actually quite good. I've seen the three in one deals before that were
really crap, but this one has good ways and is very precise. Some of my old
high school shop stuff is coming back. I made some rally nice spacers this
afternoon to maintain the location of the rear spring perches (the springs
were working off the bushings). I get the feeling I might be
throttle-steering Peyote a little hard.

Anyway, the parts came out very nice. This thing even comes with all the
stuff installed to use it for CAM. All you need to add is the stepper motors
and the computer interface. I think I'll hold off on that until I remember
how to keep the tool holder from running into the chuck.