fot

Re: TR4 rocker ratio

To: fot@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 rocker ratio
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:22:55 -0600
Many of the geometric issues are addressed in
http://home.swbell.net/cartrip/RockerGeom.pdf , which assumes you have a
perfect arc at the valve end of the rocker arm and a perfect ball and
socket at the pushrod end.  Changing pushrod length, valve length, or
pedestal height changes the initial angle, which has no effect unless it
also changes the contact points (lengths a and aR). The arc at the valve
end will have an effect, but we're talking about over 0.008 in of
deflection at full lift (with 220 lb spring force). I observed lift
ratios as low as 1.25.  That would require the contact point to be moved
in about 1/4 inch. I also believe that if it is an issue of the contact
point moving outward, the curve would be much more linear. I suppose the
way to resolve this is to repeat the experiment with light springs.
Does anyone in the group know whether 60,000 lb/in is a reasonable
number for valve train stiffness in a pushrod motor?  BTW, the
measurements were taken with stock TR4 pushrods, rocker arms, rocker
shaft and pedestals.  I do know that valve train stiffness (or the lack
thereof) is a huge issue in valve train and camshaft design for pushrod
motors.