fot

RE: Gilmer Belts/Pulley; Oil Cooler

To: "'Henry Frye'" <henry@henryfrye.com>, fot@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Gilmer Belts/Pulley; Oil Cooler
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:49:39 -0800
I doubt anyone would have anything but a theoretical number. You can very
rarely see small changes like that on a dyno. But that's okay, a really good
racing motor is a combination of the big things that you can see on a dyno,
and all the little things that add a horsepower here, a little more
reliability there. Gilmer belts probably do both if all the rest of the
stuff is right.

I agree with you completely about block pressure. As soon as boiling
transitions from nucleate boiling (where small bubbles form, but collapse as
they leave the surface to bulk boiling (sheets of bubbles), the heat
transfer of a surface drops precipitously. That's a function of both
temperature and pressure. A few pounds of block pressure will make a big
difference in failure of the critical cooling areas, and that definitely is
the #4 cylinder.