fot

Re: GT6/spitfire differentials

To: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Subject: Re: GT6/spitfire differentials
From: fpspitfire@insightbb.com
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 03:57:07 +0000
John,

I haven't pulled the carrier bearings off yet...so they are still sitting on
the carrier...just need to press them off...much easier said than done as I'm
short a press right now.  However, the race is off and the number on it which
is a LM67010 timken bearing....in good enough shape it makes a person think
about not throwing them away.  This would suggest that it's a very late diff.
Andy Mace also noted that it probably would only have 4 holes drilled for the
spring fixing...this is correct.

I talked to the guy whom I purchased the car with...I took the diff and front
suspension.  It was a super late car...manufacture date of Aug 1973...late
enough it had a swing spring setup and automatic adjusters for the rear drums.

Next questions for you John,  can I take the 3.27:1 crown and pinion off and
replace it with a 3.89:1 using the same carrier?  Can the carriers be
interchanged between diffs (73 to an earlier or vice versa) by changing the
carrier bearings?  The easiest thing for me to do would be to just change out
the crown and pinion for what I want and now ship a whole diff across the
country, if the carrier is necessary I'd like to just change it out and use
the late bearings...

these types of things make a person think...why make that change during the
last year

aaron