fot

RE: Boring Wet Liners-More to learn

To: "'Randall'" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Boring Wet Liners-More to learn
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:29:22 -0800
Seemed like a huge number to me too--you'd surely have a seizure. The sleeve
will certainly distort, and boring in place will deal with one form of
distortion, but unless you did it at normal operating temp it would just be
one type.

Clamping the cylinders in a fixture is considered a necessary step--the
distortion occurs and the boring takes place in the distorted cylinder
leaving a hole that will be straight when the bore is reclamped. I've done
it hundreds of times with motorcycle cylinders (which probably distort more
because of their press fit)  But I've never been able to measure any
variation in the clamped vs. unclamped bore. Undoubtedly limited by the
tools I have, but my cylinder gauge is good for .0005.