fot

Re: San Diego question

To: mjsukey@eriecoast.com
Subject: Re: San Diego question
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:48:21 -0500
Marty asked:

>Looks like I will be spending a few days in San Diego and will have time to
>kill in the evenings.  Any body on the list from the area and can recommend
>some Triumph related things that might be in the area?

I lived in SD for 10 years until my move to Maryland.  The San Diego Triumph
Sports Car Club has a reasonable sized membership, but when I left 4 years
ago, they were not into competition (other than wash & wax variety) of any
kind.
Still, compared with the SD 'Vette & Porsche wine & cheese clubs, SDTSCC
were
mainlining nitro-methane.

The museums (auto & aviation) are closed in the evenings.  But do take a
(slow) drive
through La Jolla at night; lotsa money there.  Then on the road south (La
Jolla
Boulevarde) stop at Symbolic Autos and grab an ice cream at the Baskin
Robins, then
proceed to smeer ice cream on the windows to Symbolic.  Talk about eye
candy, but
the guys who run the place are jerks (they'll be closed anyway).  You'll
never see that
many vintage racing Ferraris in one place except at the Monterey Histerics.
I lived
a few blocks from them on Windansea Beach.

Keep going south and drive slowly through Pacific Beach, specifically Garnet
Ave.
It wakes up at about 10pm, and the cops close it down near sunrise. It can
get
pretty wild during Summer.

Finally there is Ocean beach, stuck in a 1960s time warp.  Breathing the
second-hand
weed will get you high.

SD is a nice place to visit, but I'm glad I left.

Shane Ingate, on travel in NM (about 70 miles south of Walt)