fot

2004 Mid Ohio experience

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: 2004 Mid Ohio experience
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 19:08:54 -0400
I need to pipe in here. I have been back to M-O twice since the 2002 event
that everyone remembers. Both times it was with the VSCDA at their October
event. (Fantastic event, by the way)

The smaller, not open to the public events are very different than the
gestapo-like tactics we saw at the SVRA event in 2002. Security roamed
around occasionally, but never really bothered anybody. You could drive and
park wherever your heart desired. No fee was collected to park my camper in
the paddock.

But last year's trip was not without incident. Mark Wheatley and I drove up
to registration in Mark's pickup, did our business and returned to our
paddock space. A minute or two later a kid no more than 21 drives up, stops
short in front of Mark's truck, jumps out and accuses us of stealing a
banner from up at registration. He insisted on searching Mark's truck. The
kid said they reported someone driving a grey pickup was seen taking the
banner.

Obviously we didn't take any banner.

The kid certainly could have benefited from a Dale Carnegie course. He was
rude, obnoxious, and way out of line. In retrospect, we should have gotten
his name and complained, but I was not about to let the incident ruin my
weekend.

As Mordy said, the response from Ms. Dismoor was well done, but I find two
points interesting. First, she said she became aware of the problems last
year. Where the heck has she been? They have been brewing for much longer
than that. Second, she offers Jack two tickets to an upcoming event. I have
to assume Jack was clear in his communication that he was a competitor, not
a spectator. The amount of time it would take me to compose that letter, at
that level of groveling, would be huge. And then to offer up a pair of
spectator tickets to a competitor... Hmmmm.

I am starting to think Jack got a canned response developed to be sent off
to the numerous complaints they get! Or, I am all wet. Again!