fot

SVRA Road America

To: fot@autox.team.net ('fot@autox.team.net')
Subject: SVRA Road America
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 16:56:43 EDT
Amici:

Had one cold and wet week end at ROAD AMERICA.  Thursday afternoon was
cool and dry, so we were able to get our Beady Eye tent up, cars
tech'd and paddock set up.  Early evening saw light showers.  We
helped Jack and Francis Drews set up in the rain next to the Beady Eye
Paddock.  Others present included Dr.  Ed Ceiley (Spitfire) and I
think Dick Jensen in a TR6.  Jeff Snook was there, but racing his
Formula Ford.  Tony and Torey (sp?) Drews came Saturday, but sans race
car.  May have been some others too.  I apologize if I forgot...I'm
getting old.

Terrible (cold and wet) on Friday.  Bob Wismer took his Sports 2000
out. Jack Drews and Don Brick took their TR4s out for two sessions,
but I left the Thunder Bolt under cover.  I don't mind driving in the
rain, and in fact I've done a lot of it, but at my current weight, I
was afraid if I got my driver's suit wet, I'd never get in and out of
it for the rest of the week end.

Saturday was cool, and partly cloudy, but the best day of the week end.  All
of the TRIUMPH involved sessions were in the dry, but the track sure was not
too sticky.  Most times were well NORTH of any traditional fast laps.

Sunday was COLD and on again off again showers.  The Group 3 race was
the last of the day, and Don Brick, Jack Drews, and Ed Ceiley all
finished respectfully.  Jack, of course, was the fastest TR, but I
didn't get any times.  Seems like he was running 2:58s (+/-).

Two serious accidents, both requiring Flight for Life transport to
Milwaukee's Froedert Trauma Center.  The first an INDY car (failed
brakes or stuck throttle) hit the wall hard just before the KINK.
This was a professional driver.  I am not sure of the extent of his
injuries, but have been told they involved his legs and chest.

Then not long after in Group 6 (the big Detroit Ground Pounders), someone
blew an engine hauling up the front straight spreading oil from well before the
pedestrian bridge to way past the flag bridge.  Dr. Mike Conmy (73 yrs +/-),
who I've known and raced with for years was upshifting his Mustang GT350, when
he got into the oil spill, and lost control.  He hit the bridge hard, and spun
(up hill) half way to the flag bridge.  Had to cut him out of the car.  Poor
Doc.  He was doing nothing wrong.  Just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Bang.

They always say what we do is very 'Walter Mitty'.  Just a high speed parade,
with a bunch of nice old cars.  BALONEY.  We're racing, and we must always
consider the potential consequences.  They are very serious.

On the lighter side, the ROAD AMERICA souveneer shop screwed up and
ordered a whole rack of tee shirts that said, "VSCDA SPRING VINTAGE
EVENT...May 13-15, 2005 at ROAD AMERICA."  Had a nice VSCDA logo and
everything.  Of course this event was SVRA and not VSCDA.  Wismer and
I each bought one to tease our friend Carl Jensen (SVRA Boss of
Bosses).  Carl is a good sport and he said, "Fine!  You guys can take
credit for this lousey weather."

Austin Healeys were featured, including a big group of racers from
Austrailia.  Great guys.  Super sportmen.  There were some Hot Shoes,
some middle of the pack(ers), and some back markers...ALL having a
GREAT time inspite of the weather.  The all Austin Healey race was
very exciting, with lots of good dices up and down the field.

It may have been cold, but that did not put a damper on the
traditional Beady Eye attitude readjustment wine and cheese parties.
Had some big time guests too, including Janet Guthrie on Thursday
night.  What a classy lady.  She stayed a long time and seemed happy
to be there.  Connie Nyhold (VIR Partner and General Manager) was
paddocked across from us and also stopped by every night.  Don Brick's
wife Dawn sent an OUTSTANDING rhubarb pie along.  Best I've ever had.

Poor Jeff Snook went home early.  It was either a tooth ache or hemhoroids.
I didn't get all the details, but it was a problem with one end or the other.

Others may have more to add.

Bill Dentinger