fot

RE: SVRA Road America

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: SVRA Road America
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 21:29:58 -0700
Sounds a lot like Pacific Raceways, only not quite so cold.

Ditto on the "we're racing" bit by the way. I get tired of people talking
about eight tenths. There are some people driving that way. They are more
than a bit dangerous because there really isn't a line for them--they can be
anywhere on the track at any time. But ninety percent of the people are
pretty much at their personal limit most of the time. That means it's easy
to get hurt. We don't die with great regularity because:
1. The safety gear is a lot better
2. The cars are way better than they were back in the day
3. We ain't Jimmy Clark. For guys like him ten tenths was right at the
feasible limit of tire, car, surface and environment all the time. Not a lot
of room for error.

But it's still dangerous. Best thing we can do is buy good gear. I sure do
like my Hans device. Spending my last twenty years driving a wheelchair with
my tongue is not part of the master plan.