fot

RE: what's wrong with Vintage Racing

To: "wgrosenbach@juno.com" <wgrosenbach@juno.com>, BillB@bnj.com
Subject: RE: what's wrong with Vintage Racing
From: Ernest Husmann <ehusmann@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 22:11:32 -0500
I have been following this tread for some time now and just can't keep
quiet.  So here goes.

I quit racing with the SCCA about five years ago for a variety of
reasons.  One of the biggest reasons was the required effort level was not
any fun and I swore I would never race again.  Fortunately, the next year
someone convinced me to assist him while he attended a driver school and I
have become the least qualified Triumph crew chief as I have associated
with many of the unwashed.

I have seen people with the big buses and enclosed trailers and those who
still drive their race car to the track.  Each one regardless of tow
vehicles has one thing in common, the desire to race wheel to wheel.  While
driving your car to the track is admirable, those big buses make for a
great place to watch Blazing Saddles when the weather is not cooperating.

The level of friendship and assistance among vintage racers and their
crews; regardless of marque, sanctioning body, or track; has made hanging
out at a race track fun again.  So much fun that I have begun to develop a
growing deep need to again spend money foolishly.

Enjoy the twisting road.

E.