fot

RE: no lbc young drivers

To: "'Bill Babcock'" <BillB@bnj.com>, "'rob'" <19to1tr6@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: no lbc young drivers
From: "Richard Taylor" <tarch@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 14:24:17 -0400
Bill,
I, too, have competed in many (measured in hundreds) motorcycle races. And,
yes, I ride my old Triumph Trident 750 back and forth to the vintage races.
But there is no way in the world that I would support any of my three
progeny riding a motorcycle on the street. Race motorcycles? Absolutely.
Everybody is going in the same direction and the level of predictability is
high.  I raced motorcycles with my son from the time he was 14 until a
couple of years ago when those other hormones kicked in and his needs
changed from speed to whatever it is that makes you really reckless (albeit,
sometimes really happy).
To me motorcycle riding is a lot like soaring. It's glorious fun but it
takes a huge amount of concentration. In a glider when you lapse into the
pleasure mode of enjoying what you're doing, you may lose a little bit of
that hard earned altitude. On a bike, when you start daydreaming about the
sensation of the gyroscopic action of your wheels as they transfer the
vector force to the limit of adhesion on the pavement, the loss of altitude
can hurt. Or worse, you gain altitude as you high-side, and then it really
hurts. And worse yet, there's that guy who pulled out in front of you from a
side road because he could not judge the distance and speed of a single
headlight approaching him.
You are absolutely right about the schools and safety gear, except I start
and end with as firm a "no" as my ever-dwindling authority can muster. And
when it is all gone, I'll sing your song, and, like you, cross my fingers.
Richard the Motorcycle Curmudgeon