fot

Open book!

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Open book!
From: Guyots3@wmconnect.com
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 02:57:08 EDT
owner-fot-digest@autox.team.net writes:

>  I started with the old Triumph "Open Book" logo which looked a bit like
> an old "heater" shield.

Actually, it was never an open book, but believe it or not, the
Standard-Triumph shield was a stylised representation of the truncated wings
of the Wyvern
of Mercia.

A Wyvern being the mythical two-legged Dragon that ruled the ancient Albion
Kingdom of Mercia in Middle England with Coventry as it's capital.

(The Wyvern also appears on the door badge of all the Police cars in the
Warwickshire Constabulary)

This was imparted to me many years ago by Brian Blackwell, the then historian
of the Standard Motor Club who was a very knowledgable if slightly eccentric
individual and owner of an Edwardian Standard Motor car!

Hope that information is of interest.

Regards

Lion F Guyot

<A