fot

RE: Mallory Unilite Distributor

To: "'Randall Young'" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, triumphs@consolidated.net,
Subject: RE: Mallory Unilite Distributor
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:51:23 -0700
Exactly--points are actually fairly complicated and involve a lot of design
tradeoffs. If the spring is too stiff the rubbing block wears. If the ramp
is too steep the inertia overcomes the weak spring and tosses the points
open, causing indeterminate dwell (you can see point float on a dwell
meter). With dual points, one set of points is essentially controlling the
opening, and the other the closing, so point float doesn't matter.  The
closing point opens first, but the opening point is still closed, so current
keeps flowing to the coil. Then the opening point opens and the current cuts
off, yielding the spark. By the time the opening point opens, the closing
point is all done floating and is back on the ramp, which now closes the
closing points. Presto. Cool, eh.

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins