fot

battery boom.

To: "Fot@Autox.Team.Net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: battery boom.
From: "MDunst / Gasket Works USA" <gasket.works@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:03:29 -0700
Well the neighbors septic tank seemed to act up this past Friday.. the
Sulfuric acid like smell was tough.  It got worse.  But, somehow it was only
in our back yard though.  It became worse and I was going to call in ?health
dept. or some such.  But, couldn't figure out why it was so localized to our
backyard -we have no sewer there.

I found out....

  My other TR4 needed a charged battery... so I went out to the battery
charging area in the back yard  and disconected a battery I had charged
up...  When it exploded and sent me back about three feet.  The most
incredible thing is that it was bone dry -no electrolyte solution no
splatter on me.  LUCK LUCK LUCK

I had the charger on "activate" mode vs. "automatic" -so it overcharged and
heated the solution... and released the H2.

I took the kids to see what a battery explosion looks like.  They had heard
the  explosion and thought that I was practicing with fire works or so....

So, lession to the boys and me...  if you smell Sulfates near a battery that
has been charging.  -Disconnect the power at the electrical panel first.

Mordy Dunst
Gasket Works USA, LLC
www.headgasket.com
+626.358.1616 voice