fot

Re: what do you do for wiring

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: what do you do for wiring
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 12:50:06 -0600
I'll suggest tossing the wiring harness and starting from scratch.  If it is a
"real" race car, the only circuits you need would seem to be

0.  Cut off switch ( Oh boy, remember that discussion? )
1.  Ignition ( with starter button )
2.  Fuel, if electric pump
3.  Cooling fan, if fitted with electric
4.  Alternator, if fitted.

I imagine I forgot something, maybe brake lights or a rain light if required.

If the car is more streetable, with lights and wipers and such, then starting
from
scratch might be more of a pain.  The red race car which is the top picture on
my
home page [ http://www.team.net/mjb ] was a mess when I got it.  It had been
rewired
from scratch.  The yellow wires were the ignition/starter switch circuit.  The
yellow
wires were the electric fuel pump circuit.  The yellow wires were the cooling
fan circuit,
etc.

I rewired it using blue wire for cooling fan, green for fuel pump, red for
ignition and
used a large multi-conductor plug between the dash wires and the chassis wires.
 That way
I could remove the dash panel from the car disconnecting just the big plug, not
all the
individual wires.

mjb.