fot

Re: BTW points

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BTW points
From: Guyots3@wmconnect.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 12:52:20 EDT
In a message dated 7/12/2005 3:42:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-fot-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:52:03 +0200
> From: <triumph_marx@freenet.de>
> Subject: Re: Another Nomination as well (message from jay)
>
> BTW points:
>
> For the race on the Nurburgring track I installed new Lucas points. During
> the practise session the engine had misfire above 4500rpm and no power.
> After a lot of test without any result I installed old BOSCH points and the
> engine was running again. I found out that the Lucas points has a lot weaker
> leave spring than the Bosch one. So maybe at hight revs the points didn't
> follow the cam correctly.
>
> Chris

Ironically, a lot of Lucas stuff is being remanufactured by Bosch, including
Lucas Alternators, distributor caps etc, but the quality is certainly marginal
at best, and is way below what I would have expected from a German company,
so perhaps they are doing it under sufferance, so if you are not allowed to use
a Mallory Distributor, then you should stock up with a good supply of Bosch
points etc before they become unobtainable. the way that stuff for our cars do
- don't use them but treat themas your reserve supply.

Best Regards

Leon F Guyot