fot

Re: BRIC pile-up

To: "Larry Young" <cartravel@pobox.com>, <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: BRIC pile-up
From: "BOB KRAMER" <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:15:13 -0500
I too am in CVAR. We are fortunate to race at TWS with a NASCAR width front
straight for the starts. As with most vintage race groups, the cars at the
front set the pace that fit's their needs the best. Some of the cars in the
group I race in are better off with a very slow start, like me. We often
have Lotus Seven's up front and they like to start very slow. The Porsches
hate it and they bunch up behind the Sevens. It really isn't very safe but
we get away with it because the track is wide. I have enjoyed passing
bunches of cars and moving to the front before Turn One only to be picked
off by the same cars once we get up to speed. I can only get away with it
because we are allowed to pass as soon as the green drops. If I were forced
to hold position until I cross the start line I'd be stuck farther back at
turn one and some poor 911 driver wouldn't be so upset that he was passed by
a TR. It would be easy to add a rule that you cannot pull out of line to
pass until the start line, but the counterpoint is that the faster cars from
the back (the ones that DNF'd earlier) will cause a worse problem at the
first turn.

Our other track, Hallet is more difficult. We start on a downhill straight
and feed into a hard left that is best taken one car wide. The starters
there seem to like to bunch the cars up very tight.

I think the rules that Larry mentioned about sending drivers home have
helped to make CVAR safer. We have our share of cheaters, but the cars are
still mostly close to the target. I think the 4 tires off rule/Stop and Go
penalty and 3 off equal parking for the day helps control the excessive
driving I've seen elsewhere. I've mentioned it before, but at VIR, the same
Morgan Plus 8 spun in front of me three times in 2 days, twice in the same
session. No stop and go penalties, he just got back on track and came after
me again. Spinning cars are unsafe.
Bob Kramer
rkramer3@austin.rr.com