fot

Re: Hurricane Katrina

To: Doug Mitchell <dmitchel@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Hurricane Katrina
From: Susan Kahler <spitfiresuz@141.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:46:36 -0500
Thanks for the thought, Doug!

My parents live down in that area, on the West Bank a little ways out of
New Orleans.  Incredibly, their subdivision made it through with some
minimal gutter and siding damage and their house was not touched.  Their
area didn't really flood, their power is out, but their water and sewer
are supposedly still working.  They got out Friday as soon as they heard
there would probably be a mandatory evacuation and headed to Austin.  A
nice (but extremely idiotic) neighbor stayed through the storm and gave
them information on their house today by phone.

A lot of folks I went to high school with or know through the nuclear
program live down there, though, and I'll bet a lot of them aren't so
well off.  Most cell phones and home phones (powered by electricity
these days) aren't working, so there's no easy way to find out.

Our thoughts, prayers and support go out to those who have lost their
cars, homes, jobs and loved ones.  Please help out if you can -- there
is a great need for bottled water and other essentials for those
displaced, or you can donate money through www.redcross.org.

Thanks for your support!
Susan      :)